Gin and Tonic Baba Recipe
Photo by Dario Bivona
But... what is a baba?
It is a small brioche cake (also called savarin) that is usually drizzled with a rum syrup. Which gives... rum babas! Here, we present you a recipe that revisits this great classic of pastry. Prepared with our own great classic, the 1642 Tonic as well as the famous Fou gin , this dessert is perfect for lovers of 1642 Gin and Tonics!
Here is the recipe for Gin Tonic baba (soft cake with Gin Tonic) by Dario Bivona , winner of the culinary competition "The best pastry chef in Quebec" broadcast on VRAI .
Photo by Dario Bivona
BABA WITH GIN TONIC 1642
For 12 to 14 babas
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp. honey
- ¼ cup lukewarm milk
- ½ tsp. instant dry yeast (in sachet)
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup softened unsalted butter
- 2 cups of 1642 Tonic
- 1 ½ cups of maple syrup
- ¼ cup sugar
- Orange zest
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp. (280 ml) Fou gin
Sweet whipped cream :
- 100ml whipping cream
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. mascarpone
- ¼ tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 tbsp. previously prepared syrup
- 12-14 morello cherries or candied cherries
- Butter the mold babas and set aside.
- In a glass, mix warm milk, honey and instant yeast. Let stand 4-5 minutes.
- In a bowl, lightly beat the eggs, then set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt, stir in the yeast mixture and eggs, mix vigorously for 2-3 minutes with a wooden spoon.
- Add the butter little by little while mixing to obtain a smooth and regular paste.
- Pour the batter into a piping bag with a wide, flat nozzle, fill the baba mold 3/4 full and, if necessary, flatten the batter with slightly dampened fingertips.
- Cover with a clean, wet cloth and let rise for 1 hour in a warm place.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Bake for 18 minutes for golden brown babas.
- Prepare the syrup. Pour the ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a boil, then set aside.
- For the whipped cream, whip cream and maple syrup. As soon as it begins to thicken, add the other ingredients and whisk well.
- Put in a piping bag and keep cool.
- Unmold the babas while they are still hot and immerse them in the syrup for 10-12 minutes.
- Place the babas on a rack to dry.
- Arrange the babas on a serving plate, make a peak of Chantilly cream on each baba and add a candied morello cherry.
Recipe: Dario Bivona , winner of the culinary competition "The best pastry chef in Quebec" broadcast on VRAI .